Another story (the one with the crown)

- Do I really want to wear it? - asked the Fairy.
She held the crown in her hands. It was beautiful: made of white gold that branched out from the thin band in the base into intricate leaves and flowers made of diamonds and emeralds.
- It is certainly very pretty and will suit you - said the Wolf.
The Fairy smiled; the smile was somewhat thin and laboured, and looked more like another scar across her face. She sighed.
- It is also very heavy - she said.
- Well, it is yours - said the Wolf. - You earned it. You worked hard for it, and now you can wear it.
The Fairy put the crown back on its red velvet cushion. She traced the leaves with her finger; there was a little dragon hidden between them, its eyes made of tiny rubies. For a moment there she thought she felt it move under her touch, little wings waiting to expand.
- I don't want it - she said.
- Why?
- Because it is so beautiful, and so heavy at the same time. Because there always will be the weight of it on my head; I will always have to stand straight and smile to match it.  In five years it will wear me, and I will become the crown. There will not be me anymore here. I've already closed my soul in the box once because I thought it was the right thing to do. - She rubbed the scar on her cheek. - And because there will be people, again, who will fight me for it. And I don't want to fight for a piece of metal. It's just gold and precious stones. This is just so not me.
The wolf sat down and looked at her with dark, serious eyes.
- Are you sure?
She smiled; it was a different smile now, one of relief that made wrinkles around her eyes.
- Yes. But - she picked the crown up, reached for the dragon and took it - I will take this little fellow with me. He does not look very happy here.
The dragon stood in the palm of her hand, then stretched, yawned and flapped its wings.
- How did you do it?
- Magic, silly. And the crown will looked great on a certain pink pumpkin that still stands in this little dusty corridor that leads to the loos, don't you think?
- There are two pink pumpkins standing there, if you don't remember.
The Fairy grinned.
- Oh, well, they may have to fight themselves for it, then...

10/05/2017

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

A completely different story

Bajka z innej bajki

Untitled